Thursday, January 22, 2009

Matthew's Birthday!!!!

Ok, so it's time for some major catch-up! But of all the things I could post, I am totally going to toot my own horn and document forever what I stayed up till midnight the night before Matthew's birthday doing, namely, making Matthew's alligator birthday cake! Matthew turned 4 on December 7th. Last year we had a friend party and I decided I didn't want to do that again so instead I would make him a SUPER cool cake. I let him choose what he wanted the cake to be - no surprises there. I was totally excited to make it for him and as much as I messed up I am actually pretty proud of how it turned out. However, I think I might go back to the friend party next year. . . Needless to say, Matthew LOVED LOVED LOVED his cake! Too bad he was pretty much the only one to eat it and I had to foist it off on single siblings who I convinced could get their roommates to eat it! (It didn't taste bad, just not as good as the other options that were available for adults at the time thanks to the fact that it was a joint birthday party with Grandma Dean!) Here's Matthew with Grandma Dean at the party. Grandma Dean wouldn't let us put candles in for her. Hmmmm.
As tradition dictates on birthdays (translation: as I force everyone to do), here is Matthew's breakfast in bed. Ya, I went all out as you can see. Notice the tootsie roll in between the spoon and the bowl. . . I'm an AWESOME mom!

Matthew woke up sooooooooo happy that day and we had such a great day! He is definitely turning into a big boy. He is such a big helper with Nicole and loves to help me clean the bathrooms and sweep the floor! He especially enjoys cleaning the toilet! I love it! His smile just makes me happy. He asked me the other day how he is going to know what to do when he grows up. He was really worried about this too and just wanted to express his worry that he wouldn't know what to do when he is a dad! It was so cute! Especially his relief when I told him he could always look in the scriptures and pray - it was like I just solved his life's problems! That's so typical of Matthew - always thinking of things I would never expect and making connections I always hoped he wouldn't! We sure love our big boy! Happy Birthday Matthew!


2 comments:

Jamie said...

Yes, you SHOULD be proud of that cake! Wow! Look at you super mom!!!! Happy belated Birthday, Matthew!

Parkinson Family said...

that cake is awesome! and the breakfast in bed thing is cute!